Summer Sabre Camp
June 9-14, 2019, Blowing Rock, NC.
(The Sabre Camp is full. If you attended Sabre Camp (Part 1) in 2018, your space has been reserved. Otherwise, put yourself on the Waiting List and we will notify you once spot becomes available)
|Esalen, Big Sur, CA. 2017|
This course is for practitioners with some prior taiji experience. In particular, those having practiced the Chen 48 Form, PaoCui or EBQT are qualified to attend, but the retreat is suitable for other styles and traditions as well. Please submit an application if you have not studied with Dr. Yang previously but are interested.
Location & Curriculum
This will be our 22nd year at the Blowing Rock Conference Center in the Blue Ridge Mountains of North Carolina. This retreat will cover part II of Grandmaster Feng Zhiqiang's version of the Chen Style 38 Saber Form. This classic taiji weapon routine will help us build and clarify energy, improve agility and balance, enhance our push-hand skill, and enjoy the esthetics of dynamic martial art movements.
As always, push-hands and applications will be integral to the training regime and principles and applications will be extracted from the saber form. And Master Yang's instruction will focus on nurturing ourselves (yang sheng) and, in the case of push-hands, nurturing our training partners. In connection with this, we will again alternate between conventional upright training (in form, push-hands, and applications) and recumbent qigong exercises to restore energy and cultivate critical dimensions of deep relaxation.
As in all of Laoshi's teaching, he will emphasize principles and realities that are "just so" through real life accounts and through meditation to help build up our mental immune system. This work seeks to recognize, learn from, and work with daily challenges as a means of achieving lasting tranquility and happiness.
Returning Students and New Students
Enrollment will begin in January 2019 and links will be provided for registration for each camp.
The Sabre Camp is full. Put yourself on the Waiting List and we will notify you once spot becomes available. Note: If you attended Sabre Camp (Part 1) in 2018, your space has been reserved.
Tuition: Base tuition is $850, payable to the Qi Balance, LLC. Available tuition options are detailed in the pricing grid below. Lodging and meal costs are additional to tuition and will be arrange directly through the Blowing Rock Conference Center (Reserve Lodging at Blowing Rock Conference Center). Please see available Tuition Discounts outlined below the pricing grid.
|Half Camp (any 3 days)||$575|
Early Registration Discount:
If your registration fee or $ 500 down payment is received before April 1, 2019 you may apply a $50 discount to your tuition fee.
Balance of Payment ( payment in full ) is due by May 9, 2019.
You will indicate your lodging preference on the registration form and reserve your room directly through the Blowing Rock Conference Center (Reserve Lodging at Blowing Rock Conference Center). There are four options for housing on-site:
- Cottages. This is the basic housing and is included in the full price cited above. There are 4 cottages with similar floor plans. ,Each has a small kitchen, dining area and living room with fireplace and back porch. There is a master bedroom with queen-sized bed wich is ideal for couples and a second bedroom with two singles and one bunk bed. Each Cottage can accommodate 6 people for a maximum capacity of 24 people in the 4 cottages, and cottage spots are on a first come, first served basis.
- Corriher Lodge. These are hotel-type rooms avaialable as single or double rooms. For those wishing to stay in the lodge, arrangements must be made directly with the Center. Their phone number is 828-295-7813.
- A limited number of tent campers will be allowed. There is a spot on the registration form to indicate if you would like to camp.
- Alternatively, you may make your own reservations and commute to the camp site.
Pictures of the Confernence Center and lodging options are available on the Blowing Rock Conference Center web site.
Deposit and Refund Policy
Minimum deposit required to hold your place at camp will be $500.00. Balance of Payment ( payment in full ) is due by May 9, 2019.
Refunds/Deadlines: Registration and down payment must be received by April 1, 2019 to receive a $50 tuition reduction.
If for any reason you must cancel your registration a $ 75.00 application fee will be deducted from your refund. Your deposit will be refunded in accordance with the following policy:
- If you cancel before May 9, 2019 your fee will be refunded less the $75 application fee.
- If you cancel after May 9, 2109 you will be refunded 50% of your fee less the $ 75 application fee OR: your entire fee less the $75 application fee may be applied to another similar event up to one year from the date of cancelation.
- If you cancel after June 1, 2109 you will not be eligible for any refund.
Sunday, June 9: check-in begins at 3:00 pm, instruction from 6:30-8:30 pm
Mon-Thurs: 6 1/2 hours instruction (plus an optional training hour in the evening)
Friday, June 14: 8:00-9:00 am and 11:00 am -12:00 pm instruction/practice - check out by 12:00 pm.
A complete schedule is available here.
Getting to Blowing Rock from the Charlotte Airport
The "getaway" experience of camp is well worth the extra travel time from a major airport. For those flying into Charlotte, there are three options for getting from the Charlotte airport to the Blowing Rock conference center.
Renting a car from the Charlotte airport is straightforward. The last time we checked, the price for a Sunday (noon) through Friday (5:00p)
rental was around $100, but if you added one day (beginning on Saturday) the cost was around $300. These prices may change, of course.
You may find the driving direction from BRCC website.
Hickory Hop Shuttle Service is a shuttle service that travels from the Charlotte airport to Hickory, Blowing Rock, and Boone.
You can request the shuttle to take you straight to the Blowing Rock Conference Center with an extra charge (as of 2014 they were charging an extra $10).
Please find their updated fares and schedule here .
NOTE: It is a two-hour trip. If you are taking the shuttle back to the airport, please be sure to leave camp at least three hours before your plane departure.
|2018 Sabre Camp Attendees|