Summer Sabre Camp
June 10-15, 2018, Blowing Rock, NC.
(The Sabre Camp is full. Put yourself on the Waiting List and we will notify you once spot becomes available)
|Esalen, Big Sur, CA. 2017|
This course is for practitioners with some prior taiji experience. In particular, those having practiced the Chen 48 Form, PaoCui or EBQT are qualified to attend, but the retreat is suitable for other styles and traditions as well. Please submit an application if you have not studied with Dr. Yang previously but are interested.
Location & Curriculum
This will be our 21st year at the Blowing Rock Conference Center in the Blue Ridge Mountains of North Carolina. This retreat will cover part I of Grandmaster Feng Zhiqiang's version of the Chen Style 38 Saber Form. This classic taiji weapon routine will help us build and clarify energy, improve agility and balance, enhance our push-hand skill, and enjoy the esthetics of dynamic martial art movements. Swords are being ordered from China and details will be announced later.
As always, push-hands and applications will be integral to the training regime and principles and applications will be extracted from the saber form. And Master Yang's instruction will focus on nurturing ourselves (yang sheng) and, in the case of push-hands, nurturing our training partners. In connection with this, we will again alternate between conventional upright training (in form, push-hands, and applications) and recumbent qigong exercises to restore energy and cultivate critical dimensions of deep relaxation.
As in all of Laoshi's teaching, he will emphasize principles and realities that are "just so" through real life accounts and through meditation to help build up our mental immune system. This work seeks to recognize, learn from, and work with daily challenges as a means of achieving lasting tranquility and happiness.
Returning Students: If you have attended camp in the past three years (2015-2017), you need only submit a waiver and registration form.
New Students: If you have not attended June camp in the past three years, you must first submit an application. Once the application
has been approved, you are required to submit the waiver form and the registration form.
NOTE: As the registration form auto-populates a spreadsheet registration list, every attendee, including part-timers, must submit a waiver and registration form.
Here are the forms:
- Application - not required if you have attended camp in past three years
- Waiver - required for every attendee
- Registration - required for every attendee.
- The Sabre Camp is full. You can fill out the Waiting List Form and we will contact you once a spot becomes available.
Veterans of the June camp receive priority for registration until February 1 (registration is not complete until the deposit has been forwarded). After that time registration will open to newcomers and all registration will be on a first come, first served basis. Once the camp is filled, remaining applicants will be placed on a waiting list.
There are three options for payment:
- Check or money order: payable to Qi Balance LLC, and mailed to: Qi Balance LLC , 151 E 81st Street #7D, New York, NY 10028
- PayPal account: If you have a PayPal account, you can transfer the fee to the CTS Paypal account. A 3% convenience fee will be added for this payment method. Email Dr. Yang at firstname.lastname@example.org to request a PayPal transfer.
- Credit card: we can send you an invoice through Paypal, which you can pay by credit card. A 3% convenience fee will be added for this payment method. Email Dr. Yang at email@example.com to request an invoice payable by credit card.
Please note that final payment is due by May 15, 2018 - we wish to avoid collecting payment at camp.
The tuition for this year's camp will be $755 (early registration—completed before April 20), or $800 (late registration). The total cost for tuition, lodging (in the cottages), meals and camp T-shirt is $1095.00 if registration is completed before April 20th. After April 20th the cost will be $1140. As in the past, participants who prefer to stay in the lodge must make arrangements directly with the BRCC and pay for their lodging and meals separately. Further information regarding lodging is available under the lodging section below.
NOTE: Those attending both the saber camp and a weeklong camp (or two) in Scranton will receive a $200 discount (total) for training in Scranton.
You will indicate your lodging preference on the registration form. There are four options for housing on-site:
- Cottages. This is the basic housing and is included in the full price cited above. There are 4 cottages with similar floor plans. ,Each has a small kitchen, dining area and living room with fireplace and back porch. There is a master bedroom with queen-sized bed wich is ideal for couples and a second bedroom with two singles and one bunk bed. Each Cottage can accommodate 6 people for a maximum capacity of 24 people in the 4 cottages, and cottage spots are on a first come, first served basis.
- Corriher Lodge. These are hotel-type rooms avaialable as single or double rooms. For those wishing to stay in the lodge, arrangements must be made directly with the Center. Their phone number is 828-295-7813.
- A limited number of tent campers will be allowed. There is a spot on the registration form to indicate if you would like to camp.
- Alternatively, you may make your own reservations and commute to the camp site.
Pictures of the Confernence Center and lodging options are available on the Blowing Rock Conference Center web site.
Deposit and Refund Policy
Please make out deposit checks for $400.00 to the Qi Balance LLC and mail them to:
Qi Balance LLC
c/o Dr. Yang Yang
151 East 81st Street, #7-D
New York, NY. 10028
(Please do not attempt to mail the checks to Bob Schlagal in NC - he now lives in Mexico.)
Refund Policy: A full refund of the deposit is available (less a $75. processing fee) if cancellation notice is received before April 15. Cancellations after April 15 will be refunded at a 50% rate until May 10. Cancellations after that time cannot be refunded.
Sunday, June 10: check-in begins at 3:00 pm, instruction from 6:30-8:30 pm
Mon-Thurs: 6 1/2 hours instruction (plus an optional training hour in the evening)
Friday, June 15: 8:00-9:00 am and 11:00 am -12:00 pm instruction/practice - check out by 12:00 pm.
A complete schedule is available here.
Getting to Blowing Rock from the Charlotte Airport
The "getaway" experience of camp is well worth the extra travel time from a major airport. For those flying into Charlotte, there are three options for getting from the Charlotte airport to the Blowing Rock conference center.
Renting a car from the Charlotte airport is straightforward. The last time we checked, the price for a Sunday (noon) through Friday (5:00p)
rental was around $100, but if you added one day (beginning on Saturday) the cost was around $300. These prices may change, of course.
You may find the driving direction from BRCC website.
*If you do rent a car, please consider placing your name on our the appropriate ride sharing spreadsheet (below) offering to share the ride and cost with other campers.*
- Ride Sharing We have established a Google doc spreadsheet that attendees can use to communicate/arrange carpooling. Directions are on the spreadsheets.
Hickory Hop Shuttle Service is a shuttle service that travels from the Charlotte airport to Hickory, Blowing Rock, and Boone.
You can request the shuttle to take you straight to the Blowing Rock Conference Center with an extra charge (as of 2014 they were charging an extra $10).
Please find their updated fares and schedule here .
NOTE: It is a two-hour trip. If you are taking the shuttle back to the airport, please be sure to leave camp at least three hours before your plane departure.
|2017 Pao-Cui Camp Attendees|