1. Hardcover Version
On book aesthetics (for book afictionados) -
Congratulations on a beautiful book . . . we
produce between 20 to 30 titles per day and for some reason this book jumped out at me and I had to learn more . . . The book is well designed with an excellent selection of materials, fonts and illustrations that really compliment the subject. This is the way a book should be "packaged."
--Myron Marsh, President-CEO, Thomson-Shore, Inc.
Foreword by Bob Schlagal
Foreword by Grandmaster Feng Zhiqiang
Table of Contents (pdf file - requires Adobe Acrobat Reader)
New! Preview the book using Google Book search. Also the white paper titled Best Taiji Practices, available on the articles page, is largely abridged from the book and may serve as a preview of the book.
Usually ships in 1-2 business days. Canadian orders must additionally click on the Canada Shipping Fee "Add to Cart" button to add an additional $5.00 shipping and handling charge for each book purchased. Those outside of the U.S. or Canada must additionally click on the International Shipping Fee "Add to Cart" button at the right to add an additional $16.00 shipping and handling charge for each book purchased. International shipments are sent via USPS airmail and usually arrive within 2-3 weeks. Please contact us to arrange international shipments of multiple books.
Here are a few pre-publication reviews of the book:
Yang Yang has produced an important and masterful contribution to our knowledge of taijiquan. It is great for both beginners and advanced practitioners and demonstrates again what the West can learn from the East.
--Ted Kaptchuk, author of The Web That Has No Weaver: Understanding Chinese Medicine.
Master Yang is clear and precise in his declarations of both
the fundamentals and advanced theories and principles of the
internal arts. This book presents a wealth of information
that will help students, regardless of their current level,
to learn the true theory and essence of Taijiquan and
establish a solid foundation in the internal arts.
-- Grandmaster Henry Look, Founder and Honorary Chairman, Guang
Ping Yang Tai Chi Association, Founder and President, I-
Chuan Association, U.S.A.
Master Yang Yang describes Taijiquan as "one of the greatest gifts that China has to share with the world." The same can be said of his new book, Taijiquan: The Art of Nurturing, The Science of Power. This is the book that all students of Taijiquan have been waiting for - a truly comprehensive work that brings together the best of Eastern Wisdom and Western Science. Yang Yang nurtures the reader with critical insight and inspiration. We learn not only what Taiji is and isn't, but how to find a teacher and judge his or her skill. Rarest of all for books on this subject, Taijiquan is written in a clear and engaging style. I recommend it very highly to all students of natural health, fitness, Chinese culture, and the martial arts.
--Kenneth Cohen, M.A., author of The Way of Qigong
and Taoism: Essential Teachings.
It is not easy to recommend a book in the English language that clearly discusses taijiquan. . . Yang Yang's new work is a halogen lamp now available for exploring and illuminating this art called taijiquan. . . This book is a treasure house of information. . . The presentation unites qigong, push-hands, silk-reeling, and form practice into one complete system. . . There is much in this book of great value to all practitioners and researchers in taijiquan, regardless of style. . . Written with the soundness of academic rigor, Yang Yang yet presents the art in a fun, easy-reading manner. . . Readers will benefit from each page, particularly since the book inspires practice.
--Michael DeMarco, Publisher, Journal of Asian Martial Arts. Look for the full review in the Vol. 13, No. 4, 2004 volume of the Journal of Asian Martial Arts.
Good information, clearly organized.
Deep research, carefully explained.
Chinese and Western thought, skillfully blended.
Traditional ideas, well preserved.
Contemporary views, insightfully shared.
This is a valuable book for every beginner and for all us long-timers.
--Pat Rice, Director, A Taste of China
- 7.9 MB pdf file of the second print edition (ISBN 978-0-9740990-1-9)
- table of contents is linked with chapter markers
- extensive endnotes within text are cross-linked for easy reference
- electronic format allows convenient "search" within text using your reader search function
- ebook formats are not available, but the pdf file can be viewed on your computer and, according to this wikipedia article, on nearly all major ebook readers (the only exceptions appear to be the Kindle 1 and the Azbooka WISEreader.)
- Though we cannot provide technical support for using your ebook reader, here are some articles for viewing pdf's on common ebook readers:
Click on the icon below to purchase and download the pdf file. The link will take you to the Oronjo web site, where the download purchases are managed. Be sure your browser allows popups for this site. Warning: This pdf file is copyrighted by Dr. Yang Yang and the Center for Taiji & Qigong Studies and is provided for private use only. All rights reserved. It is a violation of national and international copyright laws to distribute this file to any other person.
Note: For your convenience the pdf document is not DRM protected, but copy and paste and print functions are disabled in the pdf file. If you wish a printed copy, you may purchase the hardcover version above.
Click on icon at right to purchase a pdf download:
Please be patient and allow some time for the refresh page, allow popups, and make sure that the download link is not opening in another window. If you encounter difficulties downloading the file through Oronjo, no problem - just email us at scott(at)centerfortaiji.com and we will make sure you get the file.
This is a professionally recorded/produced audiobook with chapter markers (m4b format) or individual mp3 audio chapter files.
- What's included:
- Chapters 1-7 (all chapters)of the second edition of Taijiquan, The Art of Nurturing, The Science of Power (approx. 7 hrs 45 min of recorded audio).
- What's not included:
- Endnotes: The original book is extensively endnoted with references and Dr. Yang's additional discussion of text. It was not possible to keep the audiobook coherently "readable" and include the extensive endnotes, therefore the endnotes are not included in the audiobook.
- Appendices:The two appendices from the book (Appendix I, A Brief History of Taijiquan and the Modern Chen Style, and Appendix II, Taiji Research, Selected Studies) are not included. Considering that the professional narrator had never before spoken Chinese, he did a superb job in reading Chinese words in the chapter recordings. However, Appendix I is steeped in Chinese names and it was both impractical to ask the narrator to attempt that, and awkward if a second voice was used to pronounce the names. (Chinese language speakers may notice a distinct American accent in the Chinese words in the Chapter recordings, but the narrator did a wonderful job considering his lack of experience with the Chinese language. Dr. Yang himself reads the longer Chinese sentences/sayings in the chapter recordings.)
Two format options are available:
- AAC (m4b file extension) audiobook format. This "Apple" format will play in itunes and on ipods and iphones. The entire book is contained within one 244 MB file, with searchable chapter markers. Please check the capabilities of your media players to ensure that they can play the m4b file format, and whether bookmark/chapter searching options are available.
Purchase m4b audio book:
- mp3 files. A separate mp3 file for each chapter is provided in a single zip file.
Purchase mp3 audio book:
If you have problems with the download or purchase, email scott(at symbol)centerfortaiji.com. We'll make sure you get the file.